The two biggest killers in Australia are heart disease and cancer.
Unstress Health spoke to Dr Jason Kaplan who specialises in sports, integrative and preventative cardiology.
His other areas of interest include oncology and pharmacology, putting him in a position to care for patients more holistically.
There is an emerging field of medicine called “cardio-oncology”. Many of the new cancer treatment drugs have side effects on the heart. Herceptin that is used in the treatment of breast cancer is one such drug.
It is interesting to note that more women will die from heart disease than breast cancer in Australia, and women will also develop complications from treatment for breast cancer more often than they will die from breast cancer.
Practical Advice From Dr Jason Kaplan
Holistic healthcare means not only talking to you about your disease and the medication you need to take to treat it. Holistic practitioners will also ask about:
- Alcohol consumption
- Exercise Mood and emotions
Tips For Preventing Heart Disease:
- Get moving. Make sure that most days you do some sort of physical exercise.
- Include gentle exercise that involves controlled breathing such as yoga, pilates and tai chi.
- Choose a whole food plant-based diet.
- Destress and connect with the people around you.